Admit it, there are some horrible worship songs out there. I cringe every time I visit other churches and hear them singing. So I thought it would be expedient of me to make a list of the worst worship songs in hopes you’ll see what I see – and perhaps the church will be a bit better for hearing this. So without further adieu…
- Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) – First of all, what’s up with the parenthesis? I just call it Amazing Grace. Secondly, the verses suck! They sound so outdated. The chorus is alright, but what the heck is a wretch? You might as well just sing a hymn if you’re going to sing a song with such outdated lyrics.
- Marvelous Light – So maybe this isn’t a horrible song. But congregations everywhere are ruining it – especially the bridge. If I see one more person lift their hands and spin around during the bridge, I might have to kick them in the face.
- You Never Let Go – Um…Titanic rip off?
- Forever, I Could Sing of Your Love Forever, and Glory to God Forever – I get it, it’s clever to repeat the word “forever” over and over. But enough already!
- Open the Eyes of My Heart – Besides being the oldest song known to man, what a creepy visual. A heart with eyes? Try to get that image out of your head.
- Your Grace is Enough – Every single bass player that plays this song makes it sound more like “I’m in the Lord’s Army”. No sir!
- How Great is Our God – There’s only really one reason I hate this song. It’s needy. “Sing with me…” It’s like a a comedian telling his audience to laugh.
- Everlasting God – That line, “You’re the defender of the weak.” I get it, but it sounds like a football award. Defender of the week. Weird.
So those are my top ten least favorite worship songs. What song would you add to the list?